Nashville Public Library Digital Collections
Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help   
Nashville Public Library Digital Collections
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
 
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
West End United Methodist Church, 2001 October
West End United Methodist Church, 2001 October
TitleWest End United Methodist Church, 2001 October
Corporate nameWest End United Methodist Church (Nashville, Tenn.)
Topical entryArchitecture
Buildings
Churches
Popular Culture
Religion
Architecture--Tennessee--Nashville
Buildings--Tennessee--Nashville
Historic buildings--Tennessee--Nashville
Church buildings--Tennessee--Nashville
Religious facilities--Tennessee--Nashville
Church architecture--Tennessee--Nashville
Methodist church buildings--Tennessee--Nashville
Arches--Tennessee--Nashville
Architecture--Details
Gables--Tennessee--Nashville
Cloisters (Architecture)--Tennessee--Nashville
Churches--Tennessee--Nashville
Methodist churches--Tennessee--Nashville
Architectural elements--Tennessee--Nashville
Geographic entryNashville (Tenn.)--History--Sources
Nashville (Tenn.)--Buildings, structures, etc.
Nashville (Tenn.)--Religious life and customs
West End Avenue (Nashville, Tenn.)
Hillsboro-West End (Nashville, Tenn.)
DescriptionA photograph of West End United Methodist Church located at 2200 West End Avenue in the West End neighborhood of Nashville, Tennessee. This church was the third building for the congregation that organized in 1869. Donald W. Southgate was the architect for the project. Originally slated to start construction in 1929, building plans had to be delayed due to the Great Depression. The congregation held services in Vanderbilt facilities for ten years while they raised money for the project. Construction on the sanctuary finally began in 1937 and the first services were held in the new building in 1940. The architecture is neo-Gothic in style. The foundation is made of semi-smooth stone blocks. The exterior walls are made of semi-smooth stone blocks. The roof is a combination of gabled and flat with tar shingles. Some doors are wood, while others are metal. Special features include a memorial cloister dedicated to church members who served in either of the World Wars and stained glass windows. The cloister serves as a passageway connecting the chapel with the church auditorium. The ceilings in the cloister are vaulted stone, and there are five bays. The stained glass art windows in the sanctuary are the work of the D'Ascenzo Studios in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. This group of distinguished glass artists has work in a number of churches and other buildings throughout the United States, including Riverside Church in New York City, the National Cathedral and Folger Shakespeare Library in Washington, D.C., and buildings at Yale and Princeton Universities. Forms part of the Historic Nashville, Inc. Sacred Sites Survey Project. 1 photograph : col. ; 4 x 6 in.
CreatorHistoric Nashville, Inc.
PublisherSpecial Collections Division of the Nashville Public Library, 615 Church Street, Nashville, Tennessee, 37219
Date2001-10
TypeStill Image; Photographs
Formatimage/jpeg
IdentifierSSSP - West End United Methodist
RelationHistoric Nashville, Inc. Sacred Sites Survey Project
Coverage2000-2009
RightsU.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital content, which is provided for educational purposes only and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or distributed for any other purpose without written permission. Please contact the Special Collections Division of the Nashville Public Library, 615 Church Street, Nashville, Tennessee, 37219. Telephone (615) 862-5782.
LocationClosed Stacks-SSSP-West End United Methodist
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^ 

Bookmark and Share